Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Dream Big

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean

I think anything is possible if you want it. Anything you dream to have can be yours. Last summer in 2009, I was at a regatta in Mystic, CT called Coastweeks regatta. There were two Olympians there who talked about their experience. They were Michelle Guerette, who placed 2nd in the woman's single, and Anna Cummins who was 5 seat in the eight that placed 1st in the Olympics. Anna Cummins was also the only USA woman to race in two events in the Olympics, the eight and the pair.

During their talk it was incredible to hear about their journey to the Olympics. At this point in time I had never thought seriously about going to the Olympics, or even coming as far as I have in rowing today. After they spoke, I got to talk to Anna a little bit and had her sign the only thing I really had on me, my uni. On the back of it, she signed her name and wrote "Dream big". I will always have that uni and always think of that one phrase.

But thinking back on it, I realize that the Olympic dream is real. Many dream about going to the Olympics for their sport, but with determination, hard work, focus, and skill you can make it. Sometimes I get jokes about people saying, 'maybe you will go to the Olympics one day!' I usually laugh and nod, saying "I hope so". Sometimes it catches people by surprise, and some people think I really will.

No matter what people say, I am dreaming big!

No comments:

Post a Comment