Sunday, June 13, 2010

Eat, sleep, row

Wow it's been a while since I have written anything simply because I have been pretty busy. When I am not rowing, I'm eating or sleeping.

Camp has been good. Hard, and tiring, but good. We finished our first full week and I am finally here to talk about it. We have 3 workouts a day Monday-Friday and on Saturday we practice in the morning, and Sunday in the afternoon which gives us a good amount of time off. The workouts have been intense; a lot harder than what I am used to and we just jumped right into the intensity. It has been a long and tiring week to say the least. I am backtracking right now, so I'll give a brief overview of what we have done. We have two morning workouts with a good 20-30 minute break in between for a snack. In the mornings we've been doing longer rows focusing on technical work in quads and eights, swapping boats after the break. We just had another coxswain arrive though so we will be doing more side by side eight workouts.

On Mondays and Wednesdays though we have a 5k warm-up followed by intense weights sessions. The weights were hard but I think as time goes on they will get easier as our fitness improves. On the other afternoons we have been having water or erg practices.

I'm not gonna lie, there have been times in the past week when I thought to myself, "why am I here?". A lot of the girls here are really good. But I just have to remind myself that I was hand selected to come here and participate in the camp because they see that I have the potential in rowing. It is so different coming from being on the top end in our program to just blending in with these other girls. On top of this, I am not the tall one any more. Yes, there are girls here who are 6'4".

But I think come the end of the summer this will be a great thing to have done. And through the camp, I hope to improve and have fun doing it. I want to be able to go back to Louisville a better rower and have more to give, which I think I am very capable of. I am going to set some other goals too for this summer I decided. More to come as we go.

And as promised, here are some pictures.

This is the Vesper Boathouse

And here is the view of the river from the balcony of the boathouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment